Friday 5 November 2010

Masquerade!

Right well...........today I had a bit of a mask theme! Which for once in my life made my mum stop and stare in speechless silence........which is a first! So yeah........let's get started then :)




Ok, well this is the first thing that inspired me today........This is a photo of a piece of work that Inge Grognard did, she's a makeup artist that I discovered in ArtReview magazine.........her work is definitely in the areas of extreme and are in my opinion fantastic! This is my favourite of her makeup works, as it reminds me of a highway man - so it's probably just because I'm a big fantasy lover that I like this picture, but it's also because rather than using makeup to make the wearer look perfect she's using it for the exact purpose it was made for........the only way I can explain it, is that we aren't born perfect.......we aren't born with blushing cheeks, or with a natural black line that circles your eyes with an eyelash that perfectly curls at the end.......makeup was made so that we could alter how we look and be what we invision to look like.......hence when Grognard does work like this, she's really using the makeup for what it should be used for to create an actual mask.......the fact is a mask can either say many things about you or nothing at all and I guess that's where my fascination with her comes from......
This is part of a write up done on her in ArtReview by Hettie Juda - ".....A long term associate of Martin Margiela, Grognard helped develop the aesthetic of disguise that became a key part of Margiela's label's identity. Models walking for the designer's shows over the years variously had their identities concealed by veils, hairpieces and dark paint. .........The mask, in European tradition, suggests an inversion of the natural order of things: monstrousness, transgression, subterfuge.........It's associates with covert behaviour also extends to the idea of exclusivity - only the initiates know the identity of those behind the masks......."

It goes on to explain how the cosmetics industry make their own masks through how they broadcast the ideal look for every woman...................so yes, she's one of my influences for today!


Next influence.....the AMAZING Fable 3!!! XD
In part of the game, you visit the manor of this handsome gent (who is an egotistical, self-centered,pirate turned industry owner, who's a flipping good shot with a pistol and is voiced by Stephen Fry!) called Reaver......It's a masquerade and frankly a brilliant part of the game as Jonathon Ross is there too ;-)
Anyway, I love this character and the masks and outfits all the other characters were wearing were beautiful and rather good at hiding what they really were - seriously the last fight in that quest was pretty shocking......funny, but seriously did not see it coming!
So yeah, I had to do a mask because of this now..........oh yeah quick thing - this picture and character are owned by Lionhead Studios, so is Fable 3......I do not own any part of it, so please do not feel like sueing me Lionhead as I've stated I own none of the characters or said game, it is all yours! 


So yeah........here I am today! In my black velvet coat, faux fur wrap that my nan kept calling me 'rat' for the entire day, my brown slip ons, brown with black reindeer and black lace neck from topshop and headpiece of Roses from Bon Voyager.......


Closer look!!


Here's the mask......it's outline and finer design is made of eyeliner......the gold and brown are eyeshadow......the silver that I used for the pleated lace of the mask is Eyeko Glitter eyeliner....


Lovely Rose headpiece from Bon Voyager.......I put this on as when I was researching Venitian masks, they all have a flourish to the side of the head whether it's bells, pearls, feathers, flowers or some sort of silk......hence I decided to do my own flourish!


Closer look at the mask......as you can see I used the brown eyeshadow to match in with my eyebrows so there's a perfect curve going on and so that the gold eyeshadow can highlight the eyes of the mask....the black curls at the bottom of the mask are based on the swirls that decorate most masks.....the lace design was to match into my jumper and to give a sense of it being a very female and masquerade-ish mask.....


the swirl on the eyelash is to match into the swirl design of the mask......I even put the eyeliner entirely around my eye......as they all seem to like to show off where the hole for the eye should be.......heh, if this was completely black I'd look like a Super hero wannabe......luckily I'm not that sad, I just want it to look like something a makeup artist and game company do :-p


Closer look to show how the colours and eyeliner have been used.......



Here's one of the masks I actually own......I had to look at these to make sure I was doing the design right......see what I mean about the flourish?? This one uses a STUPIDLY big amount of feathers =_=;

Ah yes, my cat desided it wanted to help.........by eating the feathers =_=;;


Smaller eye mask......it's very oriental looking with all it's triangular/swirly/definite embelishments



Here's another large mask.....but instead of a feather the flourish is done on the actual mask......I'l like to try to do this again another time but add on more to it......hmm.........



Ok, I had to show you just how stupid the feather is.......it's soooo heavy and big that it flops under its own weight, which means that you lose the sight of the peacock feathers........


Here are all my masks altogether ^_^




Ah yes, I had to take a photo of my little helper.......he looks so innocent, but do not be fooled!! He's just toying with you so that you say 'aaaaaaw' then the next thing you know he's eating your feathers!! >.<


heh, I went to Nando's with my family tonight.......here I am with my Darling little brother James......he quite liked my mask......


and one of my cousins......this is Jack, he was EXTREMELY diplomatic when I asked what he thought......he said 'Well, I wouldn't wear it.....but it definitely suits you!' I couldn't stop laughing when I heard that!! I had been in town for the entire day and I had a lot of compliments from people all asking how I did it and telling me that it looked great.......apparently my cousin did not agree......but then again I'd be rather worried if I suddenly saw him in makeup......so I'll forgive him ;-p

Anyway, that's all for today my darlings!

Tutty Bye xxxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment