Tuesday 16 November 2010

Choir......

 Ok, so today we shall allow me the benefit of catching up with a few days......seeing as my internet has only just started working today.........sorry ^_^;;  But yeah, so there will be FOUR posts today......or THREE, depends on how long this takes........so yeah, let's start with Saturday =>

So today being 'Saturday' ;-) it's the 13th of November.......

I know what you're thinking, it's a weekend hence she'll be in town or doing something exciting......well kind of except I spent the entire day in Coggeshall singing with my Choir 'Lexden Choral Soceity'!

We were singing 'The Dream of Gerontius' it's an intensely dramatic poem by John Henry Newman in 1865 which Elgar had written music for in 1900, apparently his wife had a copy of the poem before their marriage which has his markings in it showing how the music had been worked on for a long time as he kept reading it.

Elgar stressed that Gerontius was a man like any of us and from this world, he wasn't a priest or a saint but a sinner- albeit a repentant one who was now being brought to book. Therefore his part isn't filled with Church tunes but with a good, healthy full-blooded romantic, remembering his worldliness.......

The part of Gerontius is sung by a Tenor soloist in Part 1 and then singing the Soul of Gerontius in Part 2, the Mezzo-Soprano soloist appears in Part2 as the Guardian Angel of Gerontius who after watching over him through his life now accompanies him on his journey after death. The Baritone soloist has two roles, he sings the part of the Priest in Part 1 who talks to Gerontius from his bedside and then singing the part of the Angel of Agony in Part 2.

The Dream of Gerontius is not what you'd call an easy piece to sing....infact if you did I really would laugh at you.....no offence, just it's a lot of work and  is probably one of the most complicated in English music. The piece needs three different choirs for the parts of Chorus 1, Chorus 2 and the Semi-Chorus......Each Chorus has SATB (soprano, alto, tenor and bass) parts and the semi-chorus normally splits into eight parts, so the entire choir in parts of the piece can be split into sixteen parts - basically meaning if you get lost you're on your own! So for the fact that you need so many voices just for this one piece of choral music we had the Lexden Choral Soceity joined by the Coggeshall Camerata and the London Philharmonic Choir.......

Anyway, onto the day!


Ok, so for some reason......my computer destroyed my photo of the entire of me from saturday, so we'll be starting with the top half, then the shoes and then the face as unfortuantely I can't find a working picture of me whole..........sorry ^_^;; But yeah......what I'm wearing is a mixed sky-scraper print on fountain top by H&M it's really pretty and has shoulder pads, so yeah very 80's look which I love! XD
Black top underneath is a strappy thing from Topshop
Necklace is from Frippery in Colchester, my white Rose clip is from Bon Voyaguer.....


White shoes!! I don't know why but whenever I wear these I just started wanting to listen to Duran Duran =_=;; heh, nevermind my madness! They're from Topshop and are lovely.......hmmm, actually I mention DuranDuran but for the entire day I was humming Offsprings 'Why don't you get a job?' not a clue why......although it is a brilliant song! :)


See!! Isn't it an awesome print!! XD


Ah yes......for todays design I did something rather abstract I feel.......it's two different parts of the print on my top that I melded together to create one thing.....
Black eyeliner and Glitter eyeliner by Eyeko




Coggeshall's St. Peter ad Vincula Church with Colchester Symphony Orchestra currently filling half of it....



Ok this picture is from the night!! The actual concert......for the concert we were singing 'The Dream of Gerontius'


Here I am in my concert gear......not the red coat, that was just because it was FREEZING!!!!!


Wonderful camera skills by my mum here


Mrs. Sarah Blake.........created the Lexden Choral Soceity and led both us and the Symphony orchestra on the night.....sorry it's a blurry image...



Thank my mum for these.....I was up there singing....




Heh I don't look amused......Do you like my poppy?? MY BIG POPPY!!! from outside Harrods when I went to the V&A with Carlene and Jess! XD I was really upset, I actually lost it on the way back to Colchester :-(


So yeah......other than the outfit and the lipstick, I really hadn't changed anything looks wise.....I got a lot of compliments from the audience about my face and my fringe.......although one old man came up to me and said 'Isn't it a bit late for Halloween?' >.< Dare I say I smiled sweetly and said 'Yes I think Halloween's been and gone for a while now' he looked very disappointed at my responce......In all honesty I was a little dumbstruck and I said that literally as a 'yeah you're right it's not halloween' rather than a retaliation....I really wish I'd used it as a retaliation as it's brilliant and I only understood he was being rude after he'd left.....

So yeah........that's it for saturdays entry.........hope you liked it xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment