Sunday 21 November 2010

Art Nouveau

Ok.......well, I'm extremely sorry for the no posts lately.......infact I'm sorry it's taken me 5 days to post anything......just had a lot of work lately.......but I hopefully from now on, if I ever am late with these again! Will only be behind by two days at the most if there is ever no posts again.......so don't stop reading if you like this blog, as it is still going.....

So......this would have been Wednesday 17th November.......



Ok, well today I had to go to two different lectures- one on time keeping (DOES NOT COMPUTE lol) and one on Benjamin Walter who was a Marxist and very Brechtian towards art........basically before we had the second lecture, my group had to give our own personal lecture on a piece that Benjamin Walter wrote which was about Technology and mechanical reproduction within art.......So for today I made a copy of a Lithography Art Nouveau Print from 1865(??) on my face.......

Benjamin walter was of jewish heritage and actually ended up trying to escape from the Nazi's because he thought his Visa hadn't been accepted, he died trying to escape and unfortunately after he'd died his Visa came through accepted. So that's rather unlucky and a horrible thing to imagine when you think that if he'd waited just a little longer he would have been allowed to survive. Still, the piece we were studying was about how he was going against the sense of power (which is apparently linked to how much power Hitler had back then). He wanted the common working man to look at art and be allowed to yell/argue or even drink within a gallery which is even now unheard of and not the norm for gallery ettiquette. It was an extremely Brechtian view (he was actually good friends with Brecht - I found this out later when I talked to my teacher about his views) where he didn't want the work to be special, he wanted to take away the originality of the work, he wanted to take away it's aura and show it in it's mass produced way. It was an extremely interesting lecture and led alot of our class into arguements on whether the effect of originality or mass production really was there......but I won't bore you with that.......even though I didn't get bored - I just ended up laughing at how many students were just argueing for arguments sake......


So yeah, this is just me mucking about in Costa Coffee with my dear friend Nikki who I hadn't seen for quite a while, I really needed a break after all the lectures......luckily my face art had stayed on for the entire day :)


here is the lovely lady herself a little closer ;) The Ivy that I have done to frame her was completely made up and not part of the original.....but then again she didn't have a silver belt or pink hat in the original print either.....so there's quite a bit of artistic licence here......still I really wanted to do this, as I love drawing faces and hands normally so to do them small, on my face and with liquid eyeliner was such a fun challenge that really only took longer than most because I had more to colour in! :)
The owner of Artasia took my picture as well! So if you fancy seeing that and just looking up the store which I would suggest greatly as it's beautiful.....then go on Facebook and look up Artasia.......

That's all for today! xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment